We are looking for a detail oriented, motivated individual to join the Woodruff team as an Account Supervisor. Woodruff is WS’ U.S. partner and we work closely together on a North American client. This role has the opportunity to be based out of either Canada or the U.S.
The Account Supervisor (AS) has a strong understanding of crop protection in the U.S. market, specifically row crop and the specialties markets. The AS uses strong leadership skills to bring our client’s business to life for agency teams. They maintain exemplary relationships between agency and clients and across dual-agency teams. The AS collaborates with account, strategy, creative, public relations, digital, media and performance teams to build strategic marketing communications plans that are fully integrated, brand aligned and achieve marketing outcomes.
The AS contributes to the development of marketing outcomes, strategies and KPIs and works with team leads in various disciplines (strategy, digital, media, creative, public relations, production, research) to develop outcome-based plans and pricing. They inform the development of personas, customer journey maps, wireframes, concepts and storyboards as well as media, content, marketing automation and PR plans.
The AS is responsible for the integration and continuity of the agency’s approach and deliverables across all client business divisions as well as a dual-agency partnership. They maintain broad oversight over the execution of plans across all divisions, monitoring outcomes and reporting back to a broader team. They are responsible for account team activities, leading and motivating account managers and executives.
The AS reports to the account team lead on a specific North American client with dotted line responsibility to account directors as assigned.
The WS team works with Woodruff on this North American client, so the AS could work out of the WS Calgary office, the Woodruff Kansas City, MO or Columbia, MO office or remote.
Does this sound like you? Let’s go deeper.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands our clients’ businesses and brings it to life for agency team
- Sees the big picture for both the client and the agency.
- Works comfortably in outcome-based, KPI-driven marketing communication planning, pricing and execution. Develops strategies that ladder up to KPIs and outcomes.
- Shares the financial management, client growth and profitability with account team lead.
- Contributes to the development of outcomes and KPIs with account team lead.
- Engages market intelligence lead to ensure plans, strategies and deliverables are aligned with target audience attitudes and purchase journey.
- Leads account managers to develop plans based on business strategy and direction provided by account team and market intelligence leads.
- Communicates KPI and outcomes analysis results to market intelligence lead and account team lead to address concerns and capitalize on opportunities
- Oversees the execution of plans across all divisions.
- Ensures continuity and consistency of shared initiatives across multiple product portfolios.
- Maintains close communication with our client’s marketing managers to discuss business direction on a detailed level.
- Influences, guides and reflects a one-team approach across dual-agency partnership.
Client Relationships & Business Growth
- Establishes direct senior level client contact, including marketing and portfolio managers and other lead roles in the client’s business.
- Builds client trust through quality interactions and a client-centric approach. Knows clients’ internal structure, teams and preferences and shares this information with team members.
- Has a deep knowledge of clients’ business needs and go-to-market strategy, as well as their industries, competitors, products, technologies and trends.
- Engages market intelligence lead to ensure plans and deliverables are aligned with the target audience and category.
- Bridges the gap between the client’s challenges and agency’s expertise. Presents new information, proposals, new solutions and opportunities.
- Works with account team lead on client health and retention efforts. Ensures client relationships are positive and stable. Informs senior staff of potential issues with client/agency relationship.
- Identifies organic growth opportunities and works with organic growth leads to develop and propose new ideas to clients.
- Participates in business development efforts as requested. Helps develop and present agency proposals to existing and prospective client audiences.
Team Leadership & Internal Relationships
- Oversees account team efforts; ensures projects are moving forward efficiently, proactively solves problems and provides team guidance.
- Works with account team lead to ensures appropriate client support on the account team.
- Drives adoption of account management best practices through example setting, positive reinforcement and taking corrective action in real time.
- Builds rapport with cross-functional, dual-agency partner teams. Collaborates with multiple teams to provide work that reflects both agency and client standards.
- Updates agency staff on client news. Highlights projects (goals, workflows, outcomes and results) to all staff in staff meetings and other agency gatherings.
- Ensures account managers have clear direction to execute day-to-day activities; ensures alignment with outcomes and strategies.
- Oversees the monitoring of performance dashboards and works with account managers to develop optimization strategies as well as monthly and post-campaign reports.
- Works with account managers to ensure internal teams are accurately assessing project size and workflows.
- Participates in internal and client brainstorming meetings as requested.
- Reviews product and portfolio briefs and concepts with account team prior to client review.
Budget and Scope of Work Management
- Leads budgeting and planning discussions. Is well-versed in maximizing budget allocation based on client KPIs and outcomes.
- Contributes to pricing council discussion to ensure budgets meet marketing outcomes.
- Works with account team lead and account managers to develop quarterly forecasts for assigned clients.
- Tracks billing against forecasting; identifies areas of concern and opportunities to recover lost revenue and takes those to senior staff.
- Supervises junior account team; responsible for performance reviews and individual goal development; partners with account team lead to onboard, train and develop account staff and regularly discusses career path opportunities with team members.
- Expectation setting, including working with supervisor on new staff orientation, training and work assignment.
- Departmental responsibilities, including policy enforcement, out-of-office requests and adhering to hiring criteria.
- Regular communication, including one-on-ones, conflict resolution, philosophy guidance and ongoing coaching and mentoring of direct reports.
- Employee enrichment, including working with both supervisor and direct reports on goal setting, timely performance reviews and ongoing feedback.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent communication, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Strategic thinker with advanced business acumen.
- Resourceful and flexible; able to quickly adapt to change and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to build rapport and strong relationships with team members and clients quickly.
- Highly organized; able to manage significant amounts of information efficiently.
- Proactive and self-motivated.
- Assertive and able to take charge of a situation when appropriate with the ability to lead, motivate and influence others.
- Intense listener; put information into action that gets results.
- Fluent in digital, performance-based marketing.
- Proficient in analyzing marketing performance to develop actionable insights.
- Proficient in analyzing campaign performance, pulling out key observations, insights and recommendations.
How leaders act on a daily basis as they seek to implement the company’s vision and strategic priorities, strive to fulfill the brand promise and live up to the value. Everyone can be a leader.
- Open-minded and active listener
- Truthful and transparent
- Continually grows people and business
- Decisive and accountable
- Forward thinking
- Proactive and communicates in a positive manner
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural science, agriculture business or related and/or commerce, specifically related to marketing or communications.
- 6+ years of agency experience in senior-level marketing positions and/or demonstrated superior performance as an account manager or supervisor.
Sound like you? If so, we’re excited to meet you. Send a brief but powerful cover letter and your resume to email@example.com
You might not have heard of WS before, but maybe you have heard of Woodruff Sweitzer — our former moniker. Though our name is brand new, WS has been active in the Western Canadian market for more than 16 years. Our staff ranges from enthusiastic grads to seasoned veterans with over 30 years of industry experience.
Our team of 25 (and growing) seems to really like it here, proven by our incredibly low turnover rate. We welcome staff to work off-site though WORKshift, offer flex days, give birthdays off, provide paid volunteer time, have a professional development budget, a fat Spotify account, and this amazing thing called a “bonus program.” Sometimes, we all get together in the kitchen and eat a pile of samosas.
It’s a pretty sweet gig, and we hope you can be part of it someday. Thanks for considering WS.