We are looking for a detail oriented, motivated individual to join the Woodruff team as an Account Manager. Woodruff is WS’ U.S. partner and we work closely together on a North American client. This role has the opportunity to be based out of either Canada of the U.S.
The Account Manager (AM) has a strong understanding of crop protection in the U.S. market, specifically row crop and the specialties markets. They can build and maintain exemplary relationships between the agency teams and clients under the direction of the senior account team. The AM will work closely with the senior account team, strategy, creative, public relations, digital, media and performance teams to build strategic marketing communications plans that are fully integrated, brand aligned and achieve marketing outcomes.
The AM helps to inform the development of personas, customer journey maps, wireframes, concepts, storyboards and media, content, marketing automation and PR plans. This person ensures that quality of work, timeliness and budget expectations are met from initiation through completion. The AM is responsible for the execution of marketing plan tactics and the day-to-day leadership of projects.
The AM reports to the account team lead on a specific North American client with dotted line responsibility to account supervisor as assigned.
The WS team works with Woodruff on this North American client, so the AM could work out of the WS Calgary office, the Woodruff Kansas City, MO or Columbia, MO office or remote.
Does this sound like you? Let’s go deeper.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands assigned client’s business and objectives and effectively communicates this information to agency teams.
- Works comfortably in outcome-based, KPI-driven marketing communication planning, pricing and execution.
- Contributes to the development of marketing outcome plans with creative, content, digital, media, PR and performance teams and ensures that team members have support data and reference materials as required.
- Engages market intelligence lead to ensure plans, strategies and deliverables are aligned with target audience attitudes and purchase journey.
- Analyzes client input along with research, customer insights, field feedback, competitive landscape, etc. to help inform strategic marketing communications plans.
- Develops planning briefs with clients and senior account team before agency teams are briefed.
- Ensures that marketing outcomes, strategies, tactics, KPIs are clearly defined and budgets are approved by clients.
- Responsible for the execution of plans as approved by client under the guidance of the account supervisor.
- Guides junior account team activities and development.
- Sets clear expectations between the agency and clients and with internal teams.
- Proactively guides teams to help solve problems and ensure team members are updated with new information.
- Monitors progress from start to finish to ensure projects are moving through the agency’s processes smoothly.
- Prepares for, participates in and facilitates internal and client brainstorming meetings as requested.
- Partners with internal teams to plan project size and workflows and ensures all aspects are accounted for when developing scopes of work, timeframes and pricing.
- Reviews all design concepts, storyboards, wireframes, content plans, automation plans, media plans and dashboards with the senior account team before they are presented to the client.
- Adheres to project timelines as outlined by junior account team.
- Works with project managers to help identify agency resources for project deliverables.
- As required, supports junior account team on executing projects (building timelines, setting up meetings, taking notes, etc.) while adhering to the agency’s workflow process.
Budget and Scope of Work Management
- Oversees the development of tactical pricing based on outcome plans, reviews with senior account team and ensures client approval.
- Understands scopes of work based on marketing outcomes and contributes to the pricing of marketing outcome. Works with finance and project management teams to set up jobs in internal systems.
- Informs senior account team of project budget changes.
- Reviews monthly invoices and ensures billing schedules are followed. Works with junior account team to review billing explanations and recaps for clients.
- Develops quarterly forecasting along with account supervisor; reviews with account team lead.
Client Relationships & Business Growth
- Maintains direct senior-level client contact alongside senior account team.
- Builds client trust through quality interactions and a client-centric approach. Knows clients’ internal structure, teams and preferences and shares this information with team members.
- Bridges the gap between the client’s challenges and agency’s expertise. Presents new information, proposals, new solutions and opportunities.
- Maintains understanding of clients’ business needs and go-to-market strategy, as well as their industries, competitors, products, technologies and trends. Engages market intelligence lead to ensure plans and deliverables are aligned with the target audience and category.
- Supervises junior account team (account executives and account coordinators).
- Ensures processes are being followed and client work is delivered accurately, within timelines and on budget.
- Expectation setting, including working with supervisor on new staff orientation, training and work assignment.
- Policy enforcement, including out-of-office requests and adhering to hiring criteria.
- Regular communication, including one-on-ones, conflict resolution, philosophy guidance and ongoing coaching and mentoring of direct reports.
- Employee enrichment, including working with both supervisor and direct reports on goal setting, timely performance reviews and ongoing feedback.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent communication, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Strategic thinker with advanced business acumen.
- Resourceful and flexible; able to quickly adapt to change and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to build rapport and strong relationships with team members and clients quickly.
- Highly organized; able to manage significant amounts of information efficiently.
- Proactive and self-motivated.
- Assertive and able to take charge of a situation when appropriate with the ability to lead, motivate and influence others.
- Intense listener; put information into action that gets results.
- Strong project and budget management skills.
- Fluent in digital, performance-based marketing.
- Proficient in analyzing marketing performance to develop actionable insights.
- Proficient in analyzing campaign performance, pulling out key observations, insights and recommendations.
How leaders act on a daily basis as they seek to implement the company’s vision and strategic priorities, strive to fulfill the brand promise and live up to the value. Everyone can be a leader.
- Open-minded and active listener
- Truthful and transparent
- Continually grows people and business
- Decisive and accountable
- Forward thinking
- Proactive and communicates in a positive manner
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural science, agriculture business or related and/or commerce, specifically related to marketing or communications.
- 4-5+ years of agency experiencein mid-level marketing positions and/or demonstrated superior performance as an account executive, manager or marketing manager or marketing project manager.
Sound like you? If so, we’re excited to meet you. Send a brief but powerful cover letter and your resume to email@example.com
You might not have heard of WS before, but maybe you have heard of Woodruff Sweitzer — our former moniker. Though our name is brand new, WS has been active in the Western Canadian market for more than 16 years. Our staff ranges from enthusiastic grads to seasoned veterans with over 30 years of industry experience.
Our team of 25 (and growing) seems to really like it here, proven by our incredibly low turnover rate. We welcome staff to work off-site though WORKshift, offer flex days, give birthdays off, provide paid volunteer time, have a professional development budget, a fat Spotify account, and this amazing thing called a “bonus program.” Sometimes, we all get together in the kitchen and eat a pile of samosas.
It’s a pretty sweet gig, and we hope you can be part of it someday. Thanks for considering WS.