Job Title: Account Executive
Department: Account Service
Reports to: Account Manager
External Relationships: Clients as assigned
We are looking for a detail oriented, motivated individual to join the Woodruff team as an Account Manager. Woodruff is WS’ U.S. partner and we work closely together on a North American client. This role has the opportunity to be based out of either Canada of the U.S.
Woodruff is looking for an ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE to join our fast-growing, employee-owned, full-service marketing agency. The account executive (AE) is responsible for the organization and execution of projects from start to finish. They maintain and track projects to ensure they move through agency processes smoothly and efficiently. They identify issues, problem solve and implement improvements for efficiency and better outcomes. They manage scopes of work and client budgets.
The AE develops a deep understanding of our clients’ businesses. They will work closely with the senior account team, strategy, creative, public relations, digital, media and performance teams to execute strategic marketing communications plans that are fully integrated, brand aligned and achieve marketing outcomes. The AE reports into the account manager on a specific North American client.
This person could work out of our Kansas City, MO or Columbia, MO office or remote.
Does this sound like you? Let’s go deeper.
Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent communication, decision-making and problem solving skills
- Resourceful and flexible; able to quickly adapt to change and work in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized; able to manage significant amounts of information efficiently
- Desire to learn and seek information; ask questions and absorb information
- Collaborative and able to work with a variety of personalities, disciplines and roles
- An intense listener; put information into action that gets results
- A proactive and self-motivated problem solver; identifies solutions before problems escalate
- Assertive and able to take charge of a situation when appropriate with the ability to lead, motivate and influence others
- Strong project and budget management skills
- Understands assigned client’s business and objectives and effectively communicates this information to agency teams
- Works comfortably in outcome-based, KPI-driven marketing communication planning, pricing and execution
- Contributes to the execution of marketing outcome plans with creative, content, digital, media, PR and performance teams and provides team members with support data and reference materials as required
- Organizes information in a timely, clear and concise manner.
- Responsible for the organization and execution of projects from start to finish.
- Maintains and tracks projects to ensure they move through agency processes smoothly and efficiently. Proactively identifies and solves problems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Accurately captures client conversation notes and creates project input for internal teams. Clearly outlines clients’ desired outcomes and POV to help agency teams approach projects.
- Sets clear expectations with clients and internal teams. Proactively identifies and solves problems.
- Captures details, questions, next steps and timing from internal discussions and facilitates internal communication to ensure everyone is in lockstep.
- Develops documents and communications that guide projects internally; including job input forms, kick off and status documents, meeting notes and Wrike posts.
- Coordinates meetings, including: developing agendas, setting up calendar invitations and appropriate technology, securing rooms, recording notes, action items and next steps. Recaps discussions through Wrike posts or other internal communications. Facilitates meetings when appropriate.
- Works with Project Managers to develop project timelines. Monitors progress from start to finish to ensure projects are moving through agency processes smoothly.
- Contributes to job status reports; works to ensure accuracy and timeliness. Leads status meetings with internal and external teams.
- Regularly updates account team and clients on the progress of each project. Understands workflows and helps plan for additional projects as they come in.
- Reviews all work prior to sending or presenting to clients to ensure accuracy based on agency teams’ and clients’ input.
- Reviews and proofs media plans, and distributes insertion and materials due dates to internal teams.
- Develops and/or edits documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Enters information into a variety of formats such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Apps, Keynote, etc.
- Ensures client and project information is organized and easily accessible.
Client Relationships & Business Growth
- Becomes familiar with clients’ business needs by researching their industries, competitors, products, technologies, and trends. Understands clients’ internal structures, teams and individual needs as well as their personal preferences. Shares this information with team members.
- Understands how clients take their products and/or services to market, and how agency capabilities and services can help them.
- Regularly tracks and shares client competitor activity, including media exposure and strategy, social media and online presence, e-commerce platforms, new products and changes within competitors’ business and industry.
- Ensures client profiles are accurate and up-to-date.
- Works with Account Manager to prepare information, proposals, new ideas, issues and opportunities to clients.
Team Leadership & Internal Relationships
- Builds rapport and trusting relationships with internal teams. Collaborates with multiple internal teams to ensure projects are delivered on time and reflect agency and client standards.
- Uses client profiles as well as other client information to help Account Manager onboard new team members to working on the clients’ business.
- Contributes to agency projects as requested. Carries out action items assigned, follows through and reports on outcomes to supervisor or other project stakeholders.
Budget and Scope of Work Management
- Supports clients and internal teams in budgeting and planning discussions.
- Partners with internal teams to provide accurate information to plan project size and workflows. Ensures all aspects are accounted for when developing scopes of work, final deliverables, timeframes and pricing. Proactively communicates this information to internal teams and clients
- Works with Account Manager to develop scopes of work based on marketing outcomes and contributes to pricing discussions. Works with finance and project management teams to set up jobs in internal systems
- Tracks and manages scopes of work; identifies changes in scope and creates change orders in partnership with senior account team.
- Reviews monthly invoices and ensures billing schedules are followed. Creates billing explanations and recaps for clients.
Education and Experience
- Two to four years of agency experience required.
- A B.A. or B.S. degree; a degree in a discipline related to advertising, marketing, journalism or communications is a plus.
Sound like you? If so, we’re excited to meet you. Send a brief but powerful cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
You might not have heard of WS before, but maybe you have heard of Woodruff Sweitzer — our former moniker. Though our name is brand new, WS has been active in the Western Canadian market for more than 16 years. Our staff ranges from enthusiastic grads to seasoned veterans with over 30 years of industry experience.
Our team of 25 (and growing) seems to really like it here, proven by our incredibly low turnover rate. We welcome staff to work off-site though WORKshift, offer flex days, give birthdays off, provide paid volunteer time, have a professional development budget, a fat Spotify account, and this amazing thing called a “bonus program.” Sometimes, we all get together in the kitchen and eat a pile of samosas.
It’s a pretty sweet gig, and we hope you can be part of it someday. Thanks for considering WS.