The AD is ultimately responsible for the success and long term working relationship with the respective client and our internal teams. Reporting to the Director of Client Services (DoCS), the Account Director (AD) uses their natural leadership to bring the client’s business to life for WS’ teams. Their ability to see the big picture for the client and the agency is also critical to bring to award winning campaigns to life. The AD understands and is sensitive to the roles of each person in creative and communications, from insights to strategy, and from creative to media. They bring the team together and are accountable for bridging the gap between the client’s challenges and WS’s expertise. The AD is a visionary, guiding the client into the future. They set and guide the plan, but don’t execute it – don’t get stuck in the weeds.
The AD ensures that client needs are met by working with Account Managers and/or Account Executives, and by maintaining a high level of direct contact with clients. The AD shares with the DoCS in the final responsibility for growth and profitability of the assigned accounts. The AD will meet regularly with the DoCS in overseeing all company activity and produced material.
It is expected that AD commands strength and competence in marketing, verbal and written communications skills, analytical thinking, personal organization and interpersonal relationships. This position requires a understanding of the WS marketing/communications model and a keen sense of new growth opportunities within their client accounts.
The AD understands the client’s business – so well – in fact, they could work on the client side. They also understand the importance of relationships so well that the client would want to work at WS to be a part of the team. The AD helps foster both directions.
- The AD knows all of the WS’ roles and understands the differences between all roles
- They are knowledgeable in how WS makes money and knows the clear mandate from finance
- Shares with the DoCS, the responsibility for overall financial and corporate administration of the company ‘s goals
- They are knowledgeable in the WS workflow and account team process
- AD’s will be knowledgeable and able to speak to any Plan and/or Statement of Work agreements between WS and client
- The AD is fluent in digital first landscape
- The AD is a key influencer in the engagement of all agency personnel – to implement the best work
- Ensures client relations are positive and stable; shares with the DoCS any potential problems with client/agency relations, budget overruns, etc.
- The AD is tasked with creating new organic growth within current clients, finding ways to leverage and create opportunities for agency growth within the client and may also be tasked with onboarding new clients (creating and maintaining new relationships) as well
- Is fluent on all activities on the account and meets regularly with Account Managers and/or Account Executives on a regular basis to meet ongoing client needs
- Works with strategy and insights team to create client plans, works with Account service and creative/communications team to implement plans
- Engages with creative campaign conceptual directions to ensure marketing objectives remain in focus
- Ensures client needs have the appropriate account team support through discussion with DoCS
- Reviews overall campaign facets before submission to clients
- Ensures that final products meet agency standards
- Attend and inform client briefing meetings
- Develop plan, budget and timing with Account Manager and Account Executive
- Liaise with Account Manager and/or Account Executive, other WS teams on client direction, tactics and budget and next step thinking in terms of work and challenges
- Review concept, copy and layouts – provide feedback to Account Manager and Account Executive
- Review billings and monitor accounts receivable and ensures financial management meets agency standards
- The AD carries the relationship between the client and all agency personnel, allowing other agency touch-points to flourish to build a confident, long term relationship
- Interviews applicants for executive positions and support positions
- The AD develops high trust with senior roles across WS to validate thinking, align goals and ensure client work progress
- Discipline to work process will be high while allowing soft thinking time for creative shares, KPI shifts and organic changes- always thinking ahead to the next step
- The AD has a curious nature, while managing the client with a confident hand and a connected relationship based will all teams
- Loves solving problems little or big for clients and internal team/ has data close at hand to help answer questions regarding client business
- Understand managing budgets and people, ability to shift team direction as required
- Take an active role in building a positive Agency culture by becoming involved with activities outside of the account work
- Assertive and able to take charge of a situation when appropriate with the ability to lead, motivate and influence others
- To contribute to the development of a culture that enjoys the challenge of meeting, and stretching financial and performance targets
- Be a leader, reinforcing WS’ values and culture
Sound like you? If so, we’re excited to meet you. Send a brief but powerful cover letter and your resume to email@example.com
You might not have heard of WS before, but maybe you have heard of Woodruff Sweitzer — our former moniker. Though our name is brand new, WS has been active in the Western Canadian market for more than 16 years. Our staff ranges from enthusiastic grads to seasoned veterans with over 30 years of industry experience.
Our team of 25 (and growing) seems to really like it here, proven by our incredibly low turnover rate. We welcome staff to work off-site though WORKshift, offer flex days, give birthdays off, provide paid volunteer time, have a professional development budget, a fat Spotify account, and this amazing thing called a “bonus program.” Sometimes, we all get together in the kitchen and eat a pile of samosas.
It’s a pretty sweet gig, and we hope you can be part of it someday. Thanks for considering WS.